Revision

February 18th, 2017

Here are my plans to organize and structure my essay into a more coherent piece:

1. I need to work on my introduction. Situate Huxley’s views on pleasure in relation to other modernist writers (explaining how other writers were dealing with this subject matter at the time)
  2. Lay out the dichotomy of mind and body that Huxley uses to understand pleasure.
  3. Explain how I will be using works on pleasure from other discipline firstly to test whether it coheres with Huxley’s views and what it reveals about Brave New World.
  4. Isolate and define key terms in the essay and use them in the various paragraphs

I think I have framework and I need to build on it. The key thing for me at the moment is to make sure I define my key terms properly and to not rush through my paragraphs. I am motivated to finish this last stretch in a positive note.

5 Responses to “Revision”

1. Jason Tougaw on February 19, 2017 3:17 pm

Ager you left my office, I remembered the other theorist I was talking about: Freud. Are you still going to use “Beyond the Pleasure Principle”?

When we were talking, you mentioned something key–about thesis. I think that should be on your list. Basically, you suggested that the novel seems to dramatize ideas about pleasure that exceed the bounds of or even contradict Huxley’s nonfiction writing on the subject. Other theorists on pleasure help you see this happening in the novel. Do you I have this right? If so, it also helps you with motive.

2. Chani Rubenstein on February 21, 2017 5:23 pm

Hi Ikram! I think that your priorities seem pretty on-point. You do have the framework, but I think once you start writing a little more within your framework, it’ll become more pronounced, which is a good thing! I don’t know how much more explanation you need, but then again, I am familiar with the novel. I suppose it’s important to oreient all readers sufficiently. I would suggest that you run what you have by a complete lay-person, and see what they have trouble with. Once again, I love your work, and can’t wait to see the final result! Be well!

3. Brandon Hernandez on February 22, 2017 10:40 pm

I agree with Chani. Once you start writing, more will come out. I suggest doing some free-writing whenever you can, keeping a list of important key terms, and randomly drawing/mapping out what your paper would look like.

Your paper is really interesting and you’re making more sense than you think. It’s like Tetris – you have all the pieces falling down on you and time is running out. Place them accordingly so your board doesn’t fill up.

4. casino online free bonus on September 20, 2021 7:12 pm

casino online free bonus

Revision at Mind Over Matter

5. Revision at Mind Over Matter on October 25, 2021 12:06 pm

Williams Heckert

I found a great…

Trackback URI | Comments RSS